For most of us there will come a time when we need to rent a car. There are a number of reasons people rent cars, as well as a number of vehicle options and rental car companies all vying for your business.
However, once these decisions have been made, there is still one final question to be answered: Do I need car rental insurance?
To help figure out what is the best insurance option for your unique needs. We have put together three quick and simple questions to help you make the right choice.
1. Does the rental car company require me to purchase additional insurance?
Research your rental car options, and if a company requires additional auto insurance this may be an easy way to choose where you will rent your vehicle.
- AVIS – does not require you to purchase insurance coverage / protections, but you are responsible for the vehicle in the event of damage.
- Hertz – does not require that you purchase additional insurance coverage but offers Hertz Optional Protection Plan that may purchased in addition to your existing car insurance policy.
- Dollar Rent a Car – does not require that you purchase additional car insurance. They point out that your existing car insurance and/or your credit card company may provide enough car insurance protection for your rental needs.
2. Does my current auto insurance policy cover rental vehicles?
It depends. We know this isn’t a simple answer, but unfortunately auto insurance is not a simple subject.
The type of coverage you currently have with your auto insurance company determines whether or not it will protect your rental vehicle as well. Typically the better your coverage, the more it protects. If you are unsure of the answer, call us, and we will review your policy.
3. What documents do I need to provide to rent a car?
Plan to bring your auto insurance ID cards if you are using your own insurance policy to provide coverage for your rental vehicle. The rental company will want proof of insurance so they can verify your coverage is current.
In the end the decision to add car rental insurance is up to you. At Danback, we encourage you to use the above questions as a guide to help make the best choice for your needs. Contact us to help you with your car insurance policy 512-454-4567.